Hearing loss occurs for many reasons: aging, noise-induced and damage of ear structures are the main culprits, but the professionals at Eastern Virginia Ear. Nose and Throat are dedicated to helping everyone with hearing difficulties. The hearing aid is the most widely recommended treatment for hearing loss for several reasons.
Hearing aids are miniature electronic marvels that function not only as amplifiers for sound but as connectors to other devices and self-adjusting sound dampeners. Every hearing aid is made for a specific individual, both in the fit and the features and tunings that are required.
We understand how important finding the right hearing aid is, which is why we offer free demos to help you experience better hearing in your listening environment.
Styles of Hearing Aids
The hearing aid design includes many high-tech features but the device itself is easy to insert and use. Most simply turn on or off depending on the battery position or switch.
The hearing aid style you choose will depend on your level of hearing difficulty and other factors, but selections include:
- In the ear (ITE): ITE hearing aids are powerful and offer many features. The ITE is an electric amplifier in an earmold that fits the outer ear.
- Invisible in canal (IIC): IIC hearing devices are the smallest and lightest available. They are recommended for moderate hearing loss.
- Completely in canal (CIC): CIC aids are slightly larger than IIC but are small and powerful, and nearly invisible.
- Full Shell ITE: A full shell is an earmold custom made to fit the outer ear. The electronics and battery are inserted in the shell and fit to the patient.
- Behind the ear (BTE): Sometimes it is necessary to put the electronics and battery in a compartment that sits behind the ear. This device features a tube that runs to the amplifier in the ear canal. The controls and battery are easier to use than some smaller devices.
One of the main causes of hearing loss is long-term exposure to loud noise. Everyone’s environment is different, but it is safe to say that being out in today’s world involves exposure to loud noises. Workplaces like construction sites and manufacturing plants can be very loud. Large gathering like concerts can reach dangerous noise levels.
Hearing protection is recommended for any of these scenarios. Earplugs, earphones and ear protectors are available in many styles and levels of protection. Specialized products for musicians, shooters and hunters, swimmers and more come in standard sizes or can be custom made.
Hearing Aid Products and Accessories by Manufacturer
Here are some hearing aid manufacturers we recommend:
Oticon puts people first. Their products are designed and manufactured to enhance peoples’ lives through better hearing. The company makes all sizes and types of devices that are “designed to help you communicate, interact and participate fully in life.”
Phonak hearing aid technology is based on the idea that “life is on” and everyone should share in the experience to the fullest. Hearing difficulty is no reason to miss out. Better hearing means “thriving socially and emotionally.”
Widex boasts products that fit personalities as well as ears. Form and function are carefully included in every Widex hearing device. Widex continually engineers its hearing products with the latest technology.